常見英文錯誤： I am boring
I am boring.
記得以後如果你覺得無聊，什麼事也不想做，不要說：I’m boring. 那表示你是個很枯燥乏味的人，還有誰想和你作朋友？你要說：I’m bored. 走筆至此，想到一首很舊的台語歌：無聊的人生 (A Boring Life)，其中一段歌詞是這樣的：
沒有人會直接承認自己很無趣吧？那就別再說I am boring了。外國人若聽到你這樣說應該會嚇一跳！如果你想表達自己無聊沒事做的時候，正確的說法應該是：
A. –ed → 感到…
e.g., I am bored. 我覺得好無聊。
B. –ing → 令人感到…
e.g., I am boring. 我是個無趣的人。
通常這些動詞的現在分詞 (present participle, V-ing) 也可以當形容詞：
disappoint –> disappointed –> disappointing
雖然過去分詞和現在分詞都可以當形容詞，但用法和意義卻大不相同。這是學生很常犯的錯誤，所以請看仔細了：過去分詞用來形容人的感覺 (how someone feels)，而現在分詞則用來形容某事物或人所具備的特質 (characteristics of something or someone)。
I was disappointed with his performance. （我感覺失望，disappointed 形容的是我這個人的感覺）
His performance was disappointing. （他的表現令人失望，disappointing 形容的是他的表現，具備令人失望的特質）
現在舉一些常見的過去分詞形容詞和現在分詞形容詞。If they look familiar, that’s because you’ve seen half of them before. Recycle! Reuse! Reinforce!
1. (a) I was amazed at his progress.
(b) His progress was amazing.
2. (a) I was annoyed with her singing.
(b) Her singing was annoying.
3. (a) He quit because he was bored with his job.
(b) He quit because his job was boring.
4. (a) She was depressed about the news.
(b) The news was depressing.
5. (a) We were disgusted with the food at the hotel.
(b) The food at the hotel was disgusting.
6. (a) We were not excited about his new idea.
(b) His new idea was not exciting.
7. (a) I’ve always been fascinated by Ang Lee’s movies.
(b) Ang Lee’s movies are fascinating.
8. (a) I’m interested in Adele’s new album.
(b) Adele’s new album is interesting.
9. (a) He was upset about the accident.
(b) The accident was upsetting.
10. (a) I’m worried about the current political situation.
(b) The current political situation is worrying.
embarrassed / embarrassing: 令人尷尬
frightened / frightening: 令人害怕
confused / confusing: 令人困惑
disturbed / disturbing: 令人心神不寧
frustrated / frustrating: 令人有挫折感
exhausted / exhausting: 令人疲乏
inspired / inspiring: 啟發人心
irritated / irritating: 令人惱怒
relaxed / relaxing: 令人放鬆
satisfied / satisfying: 令人滿意
shocked / shocking: 令人錯愕
touched / touching: 令人感動