S+ V+ SO+ adj+ a+ N +that+ S+ V
(如此…以致於…=S+ V+ such+ NP+ that+ S+ V)
1. He is so kind (= so kind a person) that we all like him.
= He is such a kind person that we all like him.
2. There are so many people that the auditorium (禮堂) soon became crowded.
S+ V+ too+ adj+ a+ N +to+原形動詞 (太…以致不能…)
many+複數名詞 for+ NP或Ving
1. He is too old for the job.
2. Never too old to learn. (活到老學到老)
3. The patient is too weak to walk.
A+ V+ as+ adj+ a+ N +as+ B (A像B一樣地…)
1. He works as hard as I.
2. Jean is as good a swimmer as Amy.
3. We didn’t obtain as much information as you.
how+ adj+ a+ N +S+ V (多麼的…) = what+ NP+ S+ V
How interesting the book is !
= How interesting a book it is !
= What an interesting book it is !
5. S+ V+ lest+ S+ (should) +原形動詞 (唯恐…)
He took an umbrella lest it should rain.
= He took an umbrella lest it rain. (這種句型should可以省略，省略後動詞用原形)
6. It+ be+ p.p.+ that+ S+ V
It is said that the strict law will soon be put into practice.
It was reported that one of the biggest banks went bankrupt.
註：其它用於此句型者尚有known, understood, believed, estimated.
7. S+ be+ p.p.+ to+原形動詞：被動語態後面若接動詞通常用不定詞。
In 1657, all towns in the country were required to have schools.
We are delighted to receive your letter.
8. such as (諸如…)
The country exports a lot of crops, such as rice, wheat and fruit.
9. S+ had+ no sooner+ p.p.+ than+ S+過去式 (當…尌…)
=S+ had+ hardly +p.p.+ when (或before)+ S+過去式
We had no sooner got to the station than the train lift.
= We had hardly (scarcely) got to the station when (before) the train left.
No sooner had we got to the station than the train lift.
= Hardly (Scarcely) had we got to the station when (before) the train left.
10. whether…or… (是否…或…) = whether…or not
I am not sure whether I should laugh or cry.
= I am not sure whether I should laugh or not.
It’s not certain whether he will stay or go.
= It’s not certain whether he will stay or not.
11. the same as (和…一樣)
He was about the same age as Steve.
My brother encountered (遭遇到) the same problem as I did.
12. A+ be different from B+ in+ NP (A與B在…方面不同)
A+ be similar to B+ in+ NP (A與B在…方面相似)
This poem is different from that one in tone.
My house is similar to his in style.
13. some some
S+ VP, all +of+ whom+ VP. = V+ VP, and all +of+ them+ VP.
most which most it
They have raised a lot of questions, some of which are difficult to answer.
= They have raised a lot of questions, and some of them are difficult to answer.