選定文章類型和投稿期刊後，先別急著開寫！出版社一般會不定期更新或修改其投稿規定，所以務必先詳閱該期刊的投稿須知（“Instructions to Authors“，或“Guidelines to Authors“），確認手邊寫作材料是否符合標準？是否還有數據需要補足？等等問題。
- Start with the easiest material first, such as a topic you feel you know well. This will help you gain momentum in your writing and avoid stumbling across writer’s block.
- You don’t have to begin your writing with the Introduction or Chapter One. You may choose to start at Chapter Two or Three, or perhaps with a section of a chapter.
- Write as much as you can initially, then refine it later.
- Use double-spacing, so that you can edit the text and make notes in the margins easily.
- Make several back-ups of your writing and store them in different places. Then if you lose your bag or your computer crashes you won’t lose all your work (this has actually happened!).
- Jot down any ideas you have while writing, either on computer or on a simple notepad.
- If you get stuck, leave a space on the page and continue elsewhere. You can come back to it later.
- Do not worry if you seem to be writing too much. You can cut it down at a later stage, and you’ll have something to work with.
- Start each chapter with an introduction and end it with a conclusion.
- Be sure to actually deliver what you promise in your introduction.
- If English is not your first language, ask a native speaker to proofread your work.