The illustrated guide to a Ph.D.
Ph.D. 圖解
米德佳提供中翻英學術論文翻譯,含英文編修。
Matthew Might, a computer science professor at the University of Utah, writes: “Every fall, I explain to a fresh batch of Ph.D. students what a Ph.D. is. It’s hard to describe it in words. So, I use pictures.” It’s September 26. That means fall is here again, and it’s time to bring you an encore presentation of Matt’s Illustrated Guide to a Ph.D. Have a look, and you’ll see the whole undertaking in a less hubristic way:
Imagine a circle that contains all of human knowledge:
想像下方的圓圈代表人類所有的知識。
By the time you finish elementary school, you know a little:
當你小學畢業時,你知道一些。
By the time you finish high school, you know a bit more:
當你高中畢業時,你知道多一點。
With a bachelor’s degree, you gain a specialty:
當你拿到學士學位時,你有個專業方向。
A master’s degree deepens that specialty:
碩士學位會加深對這個專業方向的了解。
Reading research papers takes you to the edge of human knowledge:
讀研究文章會帶領你到人類知識的最前端。
Once you’re at the boundary, you focus:
當你到了這個(人類知識)的邊界,你會專注於一個專門的問題。
You push at the boundary for a few years:
你在這個邊緣努力了幾年。
Until one day, the boundary gives way:
直到某一天,你在這個邊界突破了。
And, that dent you’ve made is called a Ph.D.:
你突破的這個點就是所謂的博士。
Of course, the world looks different to you now:
當然,這世界對現在的你來說不一樣了。
So, don’t forget the bigger picture:
但別忘了這整張圖的樣子。
Keep pushing.
繼續努力。
Source: The illustrated guide to a Ph.D.
專業修改英文提高您學術英文論文被發表的機會︰英文編修
論文翻譯的參考資料: